It has been over seven months since my last post. Wow, that sounds like a long time. And yet, it has gone by like the blink of an eye. I would go on for a few paragraphs about why I haven’t blogged, but it can be summed up in four words, two commas, and an exclamation point: work, school, and BABY! Yep, pretty self-explanatory why I’ve been MIA. So let’s get down to business, shall we?
Everyone thought I was crazy when I decided to work full time and go to law school. It was a tough transition, but like whatever not the end of the world. And then can you imagine when I told people I was adding a baby to the mix? They thought I was INSANE. My mother-in-law cried…not of joy mind you. I knew it would be tough, but never having had a kid before I didn’t know what I was really getting myself into. Um yeah, it’s pretty insane! But luckily I have a lot of support. The key to having babies is to have lots of help. I don’t know how single moms or people who don’t live near family manage it. I have a supportive husband and a mom who would drop everything to come squeeze on my baby. Although I have to keep an eye on my mom. She would totally steal that baby a la Amber alert style. Thank goodness she can’t lactate.
Ahem, so here is the quick and dirty on my current life. I hope you’ll continue to stick around for more law, life, and baby stories!
- I gave birth to Max the day after Thanksgiving. I started having contractions Thanksgiving morning around 6:45 a.m. This means I got no Thanksgiving dinner. You NEVER deny a pregnant lady Thanksgiving. It’s like our holiday. I will hold this over Max’s head until the end of time.
- I was in labor at the hospital for over 18 hours. It was so f-ing painful and my epidural did not work very well. I was shockingly calm and nice during labor. I still can’t believe it.
- I have the cutest baby EVER. No seriously. I know what you’re thinking…”every mom thinks their baby is cute.” No, I’m sorry, his cuteness has been confirmed by major baby skeptics. Max is definitely cute.
- I have the sweetest, happiest baby ever. He does not get this from me. ALIEN BABY.
- I’m STILL in law school. Yes, this has been the longest three-plus years ever. I have one semester to go!! December 13th cannot get here soon enough.
- I took fall semester’s finals two weeks after Max was born. He was a few rooms away with my mom during my tests, and I took breaks to feed and check on him. I did really shitty on those exams.
- I wrote a 32-page research paper this spring. Omigod I still don’t know how I did that. At one point I put Max in the front carrier so I could use two hands to type. I’ve learned what multitasking truly means.
- I’ve been back at work full time since early March. I miss Max all day, every day. Leaving him at daycare that first day was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. Being an adult is tough sometimes. Thank goodness for wine.
- Having a baby has turned me into a huge hippie. We don’t baby-wear or co-sleep, but we’re doing baby-led weaning and I am obsessed with all-natural and non-toxic. And I totally get why some women breastfeed forever. It’s pretty awesome. Again…thank goodness for wine or I probably would breastfeed forever. Twelve months is my goal though.
- So yeah, still breastfeeding. Which also means I’m pumping. Sigh. Pumping sucks. Although I do enjoy the short breaks with my office door closed. Don’t mind if I do play me a little Candy Crush…
Okay, that about sums it up. There will be more crazy life to come. I’m back, bitches.